Each week your child will bring a book to share. Here are some tips on how to get the most out of sharing a book and reading with your child. You could try a new tip each week. See what works best for you.
- Read early and read often. That is the best advice, as the nursery and Reception years are the time your child will start to develop a lifelong love of reading and it’s NEVER too early to begin.
- Try to read every day.
- Make it fun. Put on different voices for the characters. Go to town.
- Be positive about reading and how much reading can be enjoyable and helpful.
- If your child loses attention stop. Try to make reading a special time.
- Point things out in the pictures, take time to study each page.
- Ask questions. Why do you think the character did that? What do you think will happen? How do you think a character feels?
- Repeat, repeat, repeat. As much as it may drive you up the wall, this is how a child learns and makes sense of information. Repeating a book or story 100 times really is good for them.
- Look for writing in the home and when out and about. Print is all around us all the time.